Long-awaited trial begins in rapper Tupac Shakur’s 1996 Las Vegas killing
Rapper Tupac Shakur was shot dead in an act of gang revenge ordered by a mobster who later boasted of it, jurors heard on Monday, as one of America’s most anticipated trials got under way, 30 years after the murder. Duane “Keffe D” Davis, a one-time leader of the South Side Compton Crips, one of a patchwork of gangs that ran parts of Los Angeles in the 1990s, ordered the killing after his nephew had been beaten by a rival mob, prosecutor Binu Pilal told a Las Vegas court. “On September 7, 1996,...
Source: South China Morning Post · August 17, 2026 at 7:52 PM · AI-assisted report

KUALA LUMPUR, 18 AUGUST 2026 —
Listen to this article
DomainFork Audio · read aloud
A long-awaited trial began in Las Vegas on Monday, 30 years after rapper Tupac Shakur was fatally shot in a drive-by attack, with prosecutors alleging the killing was ordered by a Los Angeles gang leader as revenge for a prior assault. Duane "Keffe D" Davis, a former leader of the South Side Compton Crips, is accused of orchestrating the murder after his nephew, Orlando Anderson, was beaten by Shakur and others earlier that night.
Market Impact
Prosecutor Binu Pilal told jurors that Davis handed a gun to a passenger in his car and ordered the shooting, which occurred on September 7, 1996.
The killing of Shakur, then 25, remains one of America’s most high-profile unsolved cases, fueling decades of speculation over the motive and perpetrators. Shakur, a key figure in the East Coast-West Coast hip-hop rivalry, rose to fame with hits like "California Love" and "All Eyez on Me" under Death Row Records, led by Marion "Suge" Knight.
The trial revisits the bitter feud between Death Row and Bad Boy Records, the latter founded by Sean "Diddy" Combs and home to The Notorious B.I.G., who was killed in March 1997. Prosecutors claim Death Row was protected by the Mob Piru gang, while Bad Boy had ties to the South Side Compton Crips, led by Davis.
On the night of the murder, Shakur and Knight were in Las Vegas to attend Mike Tyson’s boxing match when they allegedly assaulted Anderson in retaliation for an earlier altercation involving a Death Row employee. Davis, who was present during the beating, later admitted in interviews and his 2019 autobiography that he sought revenge.
He claimed in the book that he was in the front seat of a white Cadillac and handed a pistol to passengers before the shooting, though he did not specify who fired the fatal shots. All other passengers in the car that night have since died.
The case stalled for years due to a lack of evidence until Davis’s memoir reignited investigations. However, Davis has since denied his earlier confessions, calling them exaggerated claims made for book sales and insisting he is innocent. If convicted, the 63-year-old faces life in prison without parole. The trial, expected to last over a month, marks a rare legal reckoning for a crime that has haunted hip-hop culture for decades.
For Malaysia, where hip-hop has a niche but dedicated following, the trial may revive interest in Shakur’s legacy and the broader East Coast-West Coast rivalry. Local music platforms and streaming services could see a temporary surge in searches for Shakur’s catalog, though no direct commercial impact is expected.
The case also underscores the long shadow cast by 1990s gang culture in American music, a theme that resonates in Malaysia’s own urban music scene, where local artists often address social issues tied to youth and identity.
The outcome of the trial remains uncertain, with Davis’s shifting narrative complicating prosecutors’ case. Should he be convicted, it would close a chapter on one of hip-hop’s most enduring mysteries. If acquitted, the debate over Shakur’s murder will likely persist, further cementing his status as a cultural icon whose life and death continue to shape music and media narratives worldwide.
Related: Sea