Breaking
Two LPAs, tropical depression monitored as southwest monsoon persists36% of overnight stays in Austria by German guestsXsolla seeks to help Philippine indie studios go globalBuilding permits for apartments in June 2026 rise 13.8% from year earlierHong Kong’s dim sum bond market hits new heights as State Grid deal draws record ordersCISA Flags Actively Exploited Ray Flaw That Can Trigger Browser-Based RCEAsia is rearming fast – but counting the wrong kind of military powerGitLab patches critical GraphQL flaw allowing unauthenticated project deletionFake troops loot quake-hit homes in Japan’s KumamotoAnthropic’s annualised revenue run rate hit $65 billion at the end of JulyThe best time to buy bank sharesRelay shuts AI automation service, founder joins Google ChromeSingapore banks post record profit as DBS, OCBC drive growthIndonesia raises gold export reference price 0.65% for second half of AugustEkovest Bhd plans RM355.85m rights issue to fund LIKE and cut debtKumpulan Kitacon 1H26 PAT Edges Up 8.7% To RM28.7 MillionAhmad Maslan: Contractors need to submit evidence of material price increases for VOPMillions of guns, repeated shootings: Thailand confronts limits of firearm controlIndonesia's Lido SEZ and Trump-linked golf clubhouse resume construction after months of uncertaintyMalaysia's first-half GDP growth of 5.7% beats central bank's 2026 targetTwo LPAs, tropical depression monitored as southwest monsoon persists36% of overnight stays in Austria by German guestsXsolla seeks to help Philippine indie studios go globalBuilding permits for apartments in June 2026 rise 13.8% from year earlierHong Kong’s dim sum bond market hits new heights as State Grid deal draws record ordersCISA Flags Actively Exploited Ray Flaw That Can Trigger Browser-Based RCEAsia is rearming fast – but counting the wrong kind of military powerGitLab patches critical GraphQL flaw allowing unauthenticated project deletionFake troops loot quake-hit homes in Japan’s KumamotoAnthropic’s annualised revenue run rate hit $65 billion at the end of JulyThe best time to buy bank sharesRelay shuts AI automation service, founder joins Google ChromeSingapore banks post record profit as DBS, OCBC drive growthIndonesia raises gold export reference price 0.65% for second half of AugustEkovest Bhd plans RM355.85m rights issue to fund LIKE and cut debtKumpulan Kitacon 1H26 PAT Edges Up 8.7% To RM28.7 MillionAhmad Maslan: Contractors need to submit evidence of material price increases for VOPMillions of guns, repeated shootings: Thailand confronts limits of firearm controlIndonesia's Lido SEZ and Trump-linked golf clubhouse resume construction after months of uncertaintyMalaysia's first-half GDP growth of 5.7% beats central bank's 2026 target
Economy

Fake troops loot quake-hit homes in Japan’s Kumamoto

Men in uniforms identical to Japan’s Ground Self-Defence Forces are targeting evacuated homes and shops in Kumamoto prefecture after last month’s 7.1-magnitude quake, the local government said on Wednesday.

Source: South China Morning Post · August 18, 2026 at 8:01 AM · AI-assisted report

Single-source
Fake troops loot quake-hit homes in Japan’s Kumamoto
Image: scmp.com

KUALA LUMPUR, 18 AUGUST 2026 —

Listen to this article

DomainFork Audio · read aloud

Fake troops loot quake-hit homes in Japan’s Kumamoto, raising security fears

Market Impact

TOKYO/KUALA LUMPUR — Reports of men in military fatigues, identical to those worn by Japan’s Ground Self-Defence Forces (SDF), looting abandoned homes and businesses in Kumamoto prefecture have emerged following last month’s magnitude 7.1 earthquake. A prefectural government official confirmed media accounts of “fake SDF personnel” attempting to enter properties in affected areas, though the immediate focus remains on shelter, food and medical care for displaced residents.

“We have received reports of this but I cannot provide you with more details than that at the moment,” government spokeswoman Akino Sonoda said. “We are not presently sure of the number of reports or the towns affected but yes, the prefecture and the police are aware of these reports.” Warnings have been issued to residents to remain vigilant, even toward individuals appearing to be military personnel dispatched for search and recovery efforts.

Kiyoko Date, who returned to her village near hard-hit Yatsuhiro to assist family and friends after the quake struck at 4.28pm on July 28, said she had heard the reports. “I heard the reports and it’s really terrible and sad that some people are like that,” she said. “But the police knew about the reports and there are a lot of patrols going around the different towns and villages.”

Since the disaster, around 5,100 SDF personnel have been deployed to Kumamoto, initially for rescue operations—including at the collapsed Aeon Mall in Kashima town—before shifting to transporting relief supplies, providing medical support and operating care facilities. The SDF has also conducted house-to-house searches for missing persons. The quake injured at least 350 people and killed 39, with more than 390 aftershocks recorded, many of them strong. The Japan Meteorological Agency has warned of continued tremors in the coming weeks.

Across Kyushu, 1,287 homes collapsed and a further 30,894 were damaged to varying degrees. An additional 4,600 retail, industrial and other properties sustained damage, with commercial and industrial losses estimated at 117.6 billion yen (US$739 million).

The reports of looting by individuals posing as SDF personnel echo similar incidents after the magnitude 7.6 Noto earthquake on January 1, 2024, which killed 732 people. In its aftermath, looters, scam artists and thieves preyed on vulnerable survivors, prompting residents to form neighbourhood watch patrols and authorities to deploy 40 additional police officers. Within the first 10 days after the 2024 quake, 17 theft or burglary cases were reported as criminals targeted damaged buildings.

Claims that some looters wore SDF uniforms led then military chief Yoshihide Yoshida to warn locals on the Noto peninsula to be cautious. “The SDF operates as an organisation so they do not, for example, visit houses in isolated areas on their own,” Yoshida said. A legal advisory published on August 12 by Japanese portal Bengoshi JP urged residents to challenge anyone suspicious wearing military clothing. Lawyer Tomoki Amemiya advised asking for name, rank and unit of any individuals claiming to be SDF members, while keeping personal details private. He also cautioned against disclosing property damage, access points or relocation plans, and urged immediate police contact if anyone feels unsafe.

The recurrence of such incidents in two major Japanese earthquakes within seven months raises concerns about disaster response vulnerabilities and the exploitation of public trust during crises. While Japanese authorities have not released figures on the number of fake SDF impersonation cases in Kumamoto, the pattern suggests a coordinated effort may be underway to deceive survivors already grappling with loss and displacement.

For Malaysia, which has experienced its own challenges with disaster response coordination—most recently during the 2023 floods in Kelantan and Pahang—there are lessons to be drawn regarding public communication, identity verification of responders and community-based safety mechanisms. The Malaysian National Security Council has previously highlighted the need for clearer protocols to distinguish genuine aid workers from impostors during emergencies, particularly in rural and isolated areas.

Regional disaster management experts note that while Japan’s SDF is regulated and identifiable, the sophistication of impersonation tactics—including the use of authentic-looking uniforms—poses a growing threat across Asia, where military and civil defence forces often play central roles in post-disaster operations. “The risk is not just theft, but the erosion of public trust in emergency responders,” said a security analyst based in Kuala Lumpur, who requested anonymity. “When people can’t tell who is real, they may hesitate to accept help, which can cost lives.”

In Kumamoto, local leaders have begun distributing flyers with images of genuine SDF insignia and identification cards to help residents verify personnel. The prefectural police have also increased patrols in high-risk zones and set up hotlines for reporting suspicious activity. Despite these measures, concerns persist, especially among elderly residents and those in remote mountain villages with limited mobile coverage.

Looking ahead, Japan’s Ministry of Defence is reviewing its deployment protocols to include real-time verification systems for SDF personnel in disaster zones, though no timeline has been announced. Meanwhile, community groups in Kumamoto are organizing self-defence workshops focused on personal safety and fraud awareness, a model that has gained traction in other quake-prone regions.

For now, the focus remains on recovery. Over 12,000 people are still living in temporary shelters across Kumamoto, with reconstruction expected to take years. The spectre of looters—real or disguised—only adds to the burden on survivors already struggling to rebuild their lives.

As the sun sets over the battered landscape, the dual challenge of physical reconstruction and maintaining public trust in crisis response systems continues to test the resilience of Kumamoto’s communities—and offers a cautionary tale for disaster-prone nations across the region.

Related: Kuala Lumpur

Reporting based on South China Morning Post. Figures and claims are subject to revision as the story develops. DomainFork publishes editorial context, not investment advice — see our editorial standards.