Breaking
First‑quarter growth shows Malaysia economy remains resilientProtecting Our ‘Most Vital Infrastructure’: Pushing Back on DesertificationTrump threatens Oman as it cooperates with Iran on Strait of Hormuz deal, and other Middle East newsEbola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo's historyTH welcomes move to amend Act, committed to strengthening governanceTabung Haji Act to be amended, PM Anwar says, to safeguard Muslim trustFly the Jalur Gemilang Wrong, Lose Your Operating Licence, Johor Factory Finds OutLanun hijacks cargo ship off Somalia coastWoman sues city mayor over public toilet feeRCI TH: Alam Maritim confirms CEO as SPRM directorUnable to pay fees, Iyad nearly missed examCoffee lovers must know: Kuala Lumpur set to become Asia's coffee industry hubProfessor Found Dead After Resignation, Study Accused of PlagiarismActive SISPA and StraComm Clique members, two USIM students win Dean's AwardSeat negotiations for Melaka polls will test ‘Malay unity’, says analystTrio fled with jewellery worth RM1.7mil in Genting robberyWhy did Trump scale back war games with South Korea?BYD Atto 3 2026 gets RM14,000 rebate this Merdeka season: Up to RM7,000 off for Sealion 7Malaysian Sprinter Danish Iftikhar Eyes Triple Gold at Sukma 2026World Cup: Speedy Tigers earn first goal after 3-3 draw with FranceFirst‑quarter growth shows Malaysia economy remains resilientProtecting Our ‘Most Vital Infrastructure’: Pushing Back on DesertificationTrump threatens Oman as it cooperates with Iran on Strait of Hormuz deal, and other Middle East newsEbola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo's historyTH welcomes move to amend Act, committed to strengthening governanceTabung Haji Act to be amended, PM Anwar says, to safeguard Muslim trustFly the Jalur Gemilang Wrong, Lose Your Operating Licence, Johor Factory Finds OutLanun hijacks cargo ship off Somalia coastWoman sues city mayor over public toilet feeRCI TH: Alam Maritim confirms CEO as SPRM directorUnable to pay fees, Iyad nearly missed examCoffee lovers must know: Kuala Lumpur set to become Asia's coffee industry hubProfessor Found Dead After Resignation, Study Accused of PlagiarismActive SISPA and StraComm Clique members, two USIM students win Dean's AwardSeat negotiations for Melaka polls will test ‘Malay unity’, says analystTrio fled with jewellery worth RM1.7mil in Genting robberyWhy did Trump scale back war games with South Korea?BYD Atto 3 2026 gets RM14,000 rebate this Merdeka season: Up to RM7,000 off for Sealion 7Malaysian Sprinter Danish Iftikhar Eyes Triple Gold at Sukma 2026World Cup: Speedy Tigers earn first goal after 3-3 draw with France
Economy

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo's history

The Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is now the deadliest the country has ever faced, the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday. According to local authorities, the disease has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2,299 deaths recorded in the DRC’s 2018-2020 outbreak , which was previously the country’s deadliest. The outbreak, declared by nati

Source: United Nations News · August 18, 2026 at 4:34 AM · AI-assisted report

Single-source
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo's history
Photo: NASA Goddard Photo and Video via nasa (BY)

KUALA LUMPUR, 18 AUGUST 2026 —

Listen to this article

DomainFork Audio · read aloud

Ebola Outbreak in DR Congo Becomes Deadliest in Country’s History

Market Impact

The Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has become the deadliest in the country’s history, the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed on Monday. Local authorities reported 2,325 deaths, surpassing the 2,299 fatalities recorded during the DRC’s 2018-2020 Ebola outbreak, previously the deadliest in the nation’s history.

The current outbreak, declared by national authorities on May 15, also became the country’s largest in terms of confirmed cases by late July, with 4,945 cases reported. As of the latest data, 730 patients remain in isolation or hospitals, while 1,040 have recovered. The fatality rate has risen to 46%, according to government figures.

This outbreak remains second only to West Africa’s 2014-2016 Ebola crisis, which recorded 28,616 cases and 11,310 deaths. However, the Bundibugyo strain is spreading at a faster rate, WHO noted. No approved treatment exists for this strain, and vaccine trials are underway in the UK and Canada.

Health officials cite inadequate infrastructure, ongoing conflict in the outbreak’s epicenter, and public distrust of medical authorities as major obstacles. WHO warned that the response is struggling to keep pace with the outbreak’s spread. To mitigate risks, the UN and global health partners are working to prevent cross-border transmission to neighboring countries such as South Sudan and the Central African Republic.

In early June, WHO and the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention launched a continental response plan. The initiative focuses on emergency coordination, disease surveillance, laboratory testing, infection control, clinical care, community engagement, research, logistics, and support for essential health services. The UN’s humanitarian aid office, OCHA, has allocated $54.5 million to accelerate the response in the DRC, prepare neighboring nations, and build trust within local communities.

In the Central African Republic (CAR), the UN’s peacekeeping mission, MINUSCA, is assisting authorities with technical support, surveillance, preparedness, communication, and capacity-building efforts. UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric stated that peacekeeping forces are transporting health experts and delivering critical supplies across the CAR.

WHO spokesperson Tarik Jašarević emphasized the need for a “major scale-up” in the response. On Friday, WHO convened a meeting in Bangui with representatives from the CAR, DRC, Republic of the Congo, South Sudan, and Uganda to strengthen cooperation on disease surveillance and pandemic preparedness. The agency aims to reverse the outbreak’s rapid spread within three months by bringing transmission under control.

WHO stressed that sustained support is required across all response areas, including safe access to communities and resources to contain the outbreak. “Responders need the means to end this outbreak and save lives,” the agency stated. Details on Malaysia’s specific market or sectoral impact from this outbreak remain unavailable.

Reporting based on United Nations News. Figures and claims are subject to revision as the story develops. DomainFork publishes editorial context, not investment advice — see our editorial standards.