ICC calls new U.S. sanctions a flagrant attack on its judicial independence
The International Criminal Court on Wednesday called fresh U.S. sanctions against its president and a senior prosecutor “a flagrant attack” on its independence.
Source: United Nations News · August 19, 2026 at 10:22 PM · AI-assisted report
Single-source
WASHINGTON, 20 AUGUST 2026 —
Listen to this article
DomainFork Audio · read aloud
The International Criminal Court on Wednesday called fresh U.S. sanctions against its president and a senior prosecutor “a flagrant attack” on its independence.
Market Impact
The court said the measures target an impartial judicial institution operating under the Rome Statute, which 124 states have ratified since the ICC was formed in 2002. Under the treaty, the ICC prosecutes genocide, war crimes, crimes against humanity and aggression when national courts are unwilling or unable to act.
UN spokesman Stéphane Dujarric told reporters the UN Secretary-General is “seriously concerned” by the sanctions and by Washington’s ongoing designation of court staff. The U.S., which has never joined the Rome Statute, has long argued the ICC threatens its sovereignty and could expose Americans to politically motivated prosecutions.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced the sanctions on Tuesday against ICC President Tomoko Akane and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye. Washington previously barred former prosecutor Karim Khan, who left office this year. Mr. Seye has worked on the court’s investigation into alleged Israeli funding of West Bank settlements and the transfer of weapons to settlers.
The ICC issued arrest warrants in November 2024 for Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former defence minister Yoav Gallant over alleged war crimes in Gaza. Mr. Rubio called the court “a corrupt and fatally politicised supranational court” that has “maliciously abused its authority.”
Nine of the court’s 18 judges, both deputy prosecutors and one staff member are now barred from dealing with U.S. persons and face sweeping financial restrictions. The ICC said threats to judges risk the “international legal order” and obstruct victims seeking justice when domestic avenues fail.
The sanctions come after a July 2025 U.S. pledge to “dismantle” the court’s perceived threat to American sovereignty. The U.S. has imposed similar measures during the Trump administration and earlier.
While the UN and ICC are separate bodies, the Secretary-General “considers the ICC a key pillar of international criminal justice” and respects its work, Mr. Dujarric said. The court responded that it will continue its mandate “with independence and impartiality,” backed by its States Parties and civil society.
Related: Prime Minister · Washington