Closure of al-Makha port leaves 1,500 workers jobless after Houthi strikes
Port operations in al-Makha were suspended on Friday after Houthi drone and missile strikes killed 16 civilians and seamen and injured 22 since August 9.
Source: Al Jazeera · August 21, 2026 at 11:31 AM · AI-assisted report
Single-source
KUALA LUMPUR, 21 AUGUST 2026 —
Listen to this article
DomainFork Audio · read aloud
Port operations in al-Makha were suspended on Friday after Houthi drone and missile strikes killed 16 civilians and seamen and injured 22 since August 9.
Market Impact
Al-Makha port, the main gateway for Taiz governorate and southern Yemen, shut after strikes on three cargo ships and the pier destroyed what remained of its infrastructure. The closure displaced 1,500 daily-wage workers and halted cargo clearance for 30 agencies, according to port director Abdulmalik Al-Sharabi.
The first strike on August 9 hit the port during the midday shift, trapping labourer Mohammed Al-Homaidi inside. “Explosions were continuous for an hour and a half. I ran home and didn’t return,” he said. A second strike on August 11 killed three Pakistani crew and injured eight seamen on a vessel docked at the terminal. A third barrage on August 14 damaged the pier and workshops, halting loading.
Al-Sharabi told Al Jazeera that missile strikes deliberately targeted civilian infrastructure—commercial areas, workshops and the pier—leaving no safe berth for ships. “The pier was destroyed to the point that operations ceased,” he said. Six merchant vessels have been hit since the truce collapsed last month, killing 16 and wounding 22.
Traders must now reroute imports through Aden, adding days of overland transport and raising costs. Rashad, a local trader who imports goods via agencies at the port, said cargo now sits in Djibouti and freight rates have doubled. “Shipping to Aden costs more, then we pay to truck goods back to al-Makha,” he said. Warehouses still hold earlier stock, but prices have not yet risen; if the closure lasts, future shipments will force increases.
Fishermen face the same squeeze. Abdulraoof Abdullah, 50, said his family of eight survives only on daily fish catches. “Since August 11 we have not gone to sea,” he said. “We borrow or ask friends just to eat today.” Local authorities have banned fishing, but a group ventured out on August 11 and has not returned; families continue searching.
The humanitarian toll extends beyond the docks. Public beaches, parks and the coastal walkway are closed. A nightly motorcycle curfew runs from 11pm to 6am. Residents say landline and mobile networks have been cut, leaving most without contact to the outside world except those who can afford Starlink satellite terminals.
For port workers like Al-Homaidi, the immediate loss is income. “I have no savings and food is running out,” he said. The port had provided a living wage since 2021 when it reopened after six years of closure. “How can I provide basics for my family now?”
Analysts warn the closure will ripple across southern Yemen. “Al-Makha is the economic lifeline for Taiz, Lahj, Hodeidah and Ibb,” Al-Sharabi said. “We were happy to have a seaport with such capacity, but today we are back to square one.” Traders expect food prices to rise once existing stock is exhausted and new shipments arrive via Aden.
The Houthis have not commented on the strikes. Their sustained campaign against al-Makha since the truce ended on July 2 shows no sign of easing.