Malaysians told to put off travel to 3 Thai provinces after bombings
More than 50 blasts and acts of sabotage were reported across Narathiwat, Pattani and Yala on Saturday night.
Source: Free Malaysia Today · August 23, 2026 at 5:31 AM · AI-assisted report
Single-source
KUALA LUMPUR, 23 AUGUST 2026 —
Listen to this article
DomainFork Audio · read aloud
Police patrol an area under curfew in southern Thailand after a night of violence. (EPA Images pic) PETALING JAYA: Malaysians have been told to postpone travel to three southern Thai provinces following a series of bombings and acts of sabotage that began late last night. Kelantan police chief Yusoff Mamat said, however, that no Malaysians had been affected by the simultaneous attacks in Narathiwat, Pattani and Yala, Bernama reported.
Market Impact
More than 50 incidents, including bombings, and the burning of local government offices and piles of tyres, were reported across the three provinces. Thai authorities said they were assessing the situation and working to maintain security. In a statement, the Internal Security Operations Command Region 4 (ISOC 4) said Thai authorities were expediting investigations and strengthening security measures to protect the public and restore normalcy as soon as possible.
Earlier, Narathiwat was placed under a curfew from 10.15pm yesterday to 5am today. The curfew gave military personnel full authority to implement security measures, including searches, and area control and enforcement under the 1914 Martial Law Act. (AI-assisted rewrite, based on the original source)