Unclaimed Boat Strikes in Ecuador: Has Trump’s Operation Southern Spear Opened a Hidden Front?
Survivors and families of the crew of the Ecuadorian fishing vessel Fiorella say a white aircraft and drones circled their boat before it disappeared on January 20, 2026, with eight of the ten men still missing. The attacks stopped tracking devices, cut rad…
Source: Council on Foreign Relations · August 18, 2026 at 9:31 AM · AI-assisted report
OpinionWASHINGTON, 18 AUGUST 2026 —
Listen to this article
DomainFork Audio · read aloud
Survivors and families of the crew of the Ecuadorian fishing vessel Fiorella say a white aircraft and drones circled their boat before it disappeared on January 20, 2026, with eight of the ten men still missing. The attacks stopped tracking devices, cut radio contact and left the families and fishermen pointing to a covert U.S. operation under President Donald Trump’s Southern Spear campaign, now under urgent scrutiny in Washington.
New flight-tracking data and satellite imagery published by the New York Times in August show a white maritime patrol plane operating from El Salvador repeatedly adjusted its course toward the Fiorella and two other Ecuadorian boats in the days before each strike. The aircraft turned off its transponder before closing in, the paper reported.
The Pentagon and Ecuador’s Defense Ministry had denied involvement for months, but the new evidence suggests a wider and more secretive campaign than previously disclosed.
Congressional Democrats are pressing the administration for answers. They say Operation Southern Spear, launched in September 2025, risks violating U.S. law by targeting civilians without imminent threat, even suspected criminals, and demands disclosure of the legal basis for the strikes. Legal experts cited by the Washington Post have described the program as a form of extrajudicial killing, warning that it undermines congressional oversight and could violate international humanitarian law.
Cristhian Flores, one of two survivors from the Fiorella, told the New Yorker he saw a white, very loud plane circling the boat “like it was hunting” on January 16. By January 20 the satellite tracker on the 52-foot longline vessel went dark at 1:06 p.m., and four crew who had taken skiffs to lay lines saw black smoke rise on the horizon minutes later.
Flores and Dimas Ignacio Álvarez were later rescued by a passing ship, but the other eight men never reappeared.
The missing crew’s families maintain the men were innocent fishermen. According to Freeman’s reporting, two of the ten had minor criminal records—one for unpaid child support, another for fishing a protected species—but none had any link to drug trafficking. Three years of the boat’s GPS track showed routine fishing routes within Ecuador’s exclusive economic zone, never approaching the Galapagos or Colombian coasts where traffickers commonly operate.
Ecuador’s government, led by President Daniel Noboa who is closely aligned with Trump, took no effective action. The boat’s owners provided last coordinates on January 22, but the navy waited nine days to dispatch a ship that never came within ninety nautical miles of the site. César Cordova, Ecuador’s Defensor del Pueblo, said publicly the government avoided requesting U.S. assistance to prevent damaging relations with Washington, even though the families had asked for a search.
Two further strikes followed in March. The Negra Francisca Duarte II was hit on March 17, hours after Ecuador’s coast guard inspected the boat and cleared it of illicit activity, according to Human Rights Watch. The Don Maca was attacked on March 26.
Crews from both boats said they were pulled from the water by English-speaking personnel in uniform, hooded, blindfolded, handed to the Salvadoran navy, flown to El Salvador and issued emergency passports to return home—several with serious injuries.
Ecuadorian reporters and a human rights group pieced together the basics by April 2026, but the government has since increased pressure on the press and civil society. Freeman traveled to Jaramijó and Quito in the same month, interviewing more than two dozen people including the two Fiorella survivors, the families of the missing men and officials. He also reviewed documents and digital copies of passports issued in El Salvador to the crews.
The Pentagon and Ecuador’s Defense Ministry had denied any knowledge of the strikes, and Southern Command told the New Yorker it was not involved. Vectus Global, the private military firm run by Erik Prince, also denied involvement, despite Prince previously discussing a partnership with Ecuador.
Ecuador’s Defense Ministry offered a carefully worded statement saying it had no information on foreign aircraft or vessels that never reported their presence in international waters—language that left open the possibility of covert activity.
The new evidence has sharpened congressional scrutiny. Democratic lawmakers are demanding the administration disclose the legal framework for Southern Spear, the intelligence used to select targets and the identities of any private contractors involved. Legal experts cited by the Washington Post argue that classifying suspected drug traffickers as “unlawful combatants” in a “non-international armed conflict” sets a dangerous precedent that could extend to civilians with no proven ties to cartels.
For the families in Jaramijó, the lack of answers compounds the loss. Cristhian Flores and Dimas Ignacio Álvarez returned to port to find the community already divided between those who believe the strikes were justified and those who insist the missing men were fishermen, not traffickers. With no bodies recovered and no definitive proof of drug ties, the families continue to press for an independent investigation under Ecuadorian law.
Related: Washington
Malaysia Impact
4/10Global development — watch for knock-on effects on oil prices, the ringgit, and KLCI risk sentiment.
policy