No Malaysians hurt in southern Thailand attacks, Kelantan police say
No Malaysians were reported hurt in a wave of coordinated attacks across three southern Thai provinces on Saturday night, Kelantan police chief Comm Datuk Mohd Yusoff Mamat said on Sunday.
Source: The Star Malaysia · August 23, 2026 at 1:31 PM · AI-assisted report
Single-sourceKOTA BARU, KELANTAN, 23 AUGUST 2026 —
Listen to this article
DomainFork Audio · read aloud
No Malaysians were reported hurt in a wave of coordinated attacks across three southern Thai provinces on Saturday night, Kelantan police chief Comm Datuk Mohd Yusoff Mamat said on Sunday.
Market Impact
He spoke after Thai authorities confirmed 51 incidents—bombings, arson at local offices, and burning tyres—in Narathiwat, Pattani and Yala.
“Malaysians are urged to exercise caution and postpone travel to the affected areas unless there is urgent need,” he told reporters in Kota Baru. “The warning is not new. It has been conveyed repeatedly to travellers.”
He singled out a group of Ducati Malaysia riders based in Kelantan who planned to ride into Thailand on Sunday morning, including a stop in Hat Yai. “I advised them not to enter Hat Yai because there were 51 incidents across the three provinces last night,” he said.
Malaysians who must travel to Thailand should factor in the current security situation and stay alert throughout their trip, he added. His advice mirrored guidance from the Foreign Ministry, which stops short of banning travel but urges precautions.
Thailand’s Internal Security Operations Command Region 4 said it would keep monitoring the situation, telling all units to speed up investigations and tighten security to protect the public and restore normality.
Earlier, Narathiwat had been placed under a curfew from 10.15 pm on Saturday until 5 am on Sunday after booming sounds rattled houses in Kampung Lubok Gong and Kampung Tersang, two villages in Rantau Panjang near the Malaysian border.
Comm Yusoff said Thai police were also stepping up traffic checks, including on Malaysian-registered vehicles that fail to follow Thai road rules. He told Malaysian drivers to obey local traffic laws to avoid fines.
The curfew and stepped-up patrols follow more than 50 incidents reported across the three provinces, according to ISOC 4.
Kelantan police said the violence has had no direct impact on Malaysian nationals, and the chief’s remarks were meant to reassure travellers.
For Malaysians planning to visit southern Thailand, the message remains unchanged: postpone non-essential trips, monitor official updates, and comply with local safety and traffic rules.
Related: Kelantan Police · Comm Datuk Mohd Yusoff Mamat